About the Writer

Exeter, New Hampshire, United States

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Train Yourself in Godliness

I was reading 1 Timothy 4 this morning and was once again struck by both the depth and simplicity of God's Word. Paul provides a reminder to Timothy train yourself in godliness:

1 Timothy 4:8

For the training of the body has limited benefit,
but godliness is beneficial in every way,
since it holds promise for the present life
and also for the life to come.

The cross references for the "life to come" include the following sentiments:

Psalm 37:9,11 -- evildoers will be destroyed -- but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land; the humble inherit the land and enjoy abundant prosperity

Proverbs 19:23 -- the fear of the Lord leads to life; one will sleep at night without danger

Proverbs 22:4 -- the result of humility is fear of the Lord, along with wealth, honor and life

And there are more. Now I don't teach or believe the prosperity gospel. That is a false gospel and it is not the point of these cross-references. I do believe God gives us His grace for the purpose of pursuing godliness, with all humility, and a satisfaction in the future promises of which a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ partakes.

This morning I awoke at 2 AM. I'm not crazy about being woken up that early in the morning. And my mind was racing with many thoughts and concerns. About the day ahead, about things with church, and with a great sense of inadequacy on my part. Realizing that fretting about things wasn't going to help, I committed time to humble myself before God, pray, and find rest in Him. In pursuing godliness there is proper rest, it is indeed beneficial in every way.

As the day comes to a close I'm thankful for the reminder today to pursue godliness. I'm also thankful that a co-worker offered words of Bill Belichik, coach of the New England Patriots, as quoted by Tom Brady: "'Don’t mistake activity for achievement.'" It is easy to go through the motions, but for what purpose? To be occupied, busy? Or to achieve what God has in store for us? That begins in pursuing godliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment